What do we as leaders need to stay focused on right now? Read our top five thoughts!
1. Perspective: This is NOT 2008-2009. This is a period of time that we will power through. We know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, we just aren’t sure how long it’s going to take to get there. In 2008/2009, we didn’t even know where the tunnel was, much less where the end would be.
2. Patience: We have to accept that we have to wait it out (H/T Gary Vaynerchuck). Everything we are doing to eliminate this virus by its very nature has a negative impact on the economy. However, home building is in a very different situation now than it was in 2008. There is a multitude of reasons why that all deserve their own articles by people much smarter than me. And there are plenty already out there. But we are still posed to come back really strong once the dust settles.
3. Operational Excellence: Your systems and processes have to be on-point. If they are, you won’t “feel it” as much because you are already geared to handle the adversity. If they are not, act now. This is the time. Chances are you have the tools in place but are simply lacking execution (accountability). Good news, execution costs zero dollars.
4. Innovation: Think different. Act Different. Embrace what the new norm is. Today’s norm. At least for a short period of time. How can you utilize technology to provide personalized experience and calmness?
5. Messaging: It has to be appropriate for the time. Don’t be tone-deaf. That doesn’t mean you are not allowed to promote your communities and homes; that means look at the words you are using. Don’t use automation. Don’t let anything go out without a human looking at it first and manually hitting the “send button.”