Instagram makes it easy for your audience to follow your brand’s story, stay updated on new information, and engage with your company. But how does Instagram decide what users see? And how can you, as a home builder, make sure your content shows up first and is super engaging? Let’s explore the updated algorithm that Instagram uses and some tips to expand your audience using reels.
Updated Instagram Algorithm
Instagram’s algorithm is ever-changing, but we’re here to help you stay up to date with the newest features. Every post, story, and reel is filled with data that Instagram uses to determine what, how, and when users see content. This is to make sure users see things that are most interesting to them based on their activity. Before, there was no way for users to control their feeds, but now there are two new settings available: chronological order and a curated list of posts from favorited accounts.
Even with this shift, most users are still using the default feed setting, so it’s essential to keep using a mix of content that is informative, interesting, and entertaining. One of the top ways to be more engaging on Instagram is through video reels.
What is Instagram’s Algorithm for Reels?
The Instagram algorithm for reels uses several pieces of the user’s activity on the app, information from the reel itself, and your account information.
It looks out for:
The user’s activity – What kinds of reels do they like, share, and favorite often?
The user’s interaction history with the reel’s poster – Have they viewed your past reels? Have they commented, shared, or liked your other Instagram content?
The reel’s information – It tries to determine the message of your content based on popularity, pixels, and frames of the video, and the audio track.
Information about you – Do you get likes and shares consistently? Does your audience engage with your content frequently?
Reels Are the Real Deal
The Sprout Social Index states that consumers find short-form video 2.5x more engaging than long-form video. The Index also tells us that reels are the number one tactic for reaching new audiences, with YouTube being one of the top consumer platforms, and that the average engagement rate for feed posts (excluding Reels) has decreased by 44% since 2019.
You don’t need to be an expert to create them! All you need is a phone and a good idea. Here are some key tips to get you on your way to making your first reel:
- Create videos using the app or already taken images/videos so you can upload them later.
- Don’t be afraid to keep it short! Videos under 10 seconds perform really well. Also, try to keep your video under 1 minute, as audience size tends to drop significantly between 30-60 seconds.
- Choose trending audio that goes with your message to boost views.
- Have fun with it!
Helpful Home Builder Video Ideas
By now, you’re probably thinking about ways to incorporate these insights into your Instagram accounts. Luckily, we’ve got a few ideas to choose from here:
- Take a short video of the kitchen – impress buyers with the countertops, cabinets, appliances, lighting, and more from the heart of the home!
- Showcase a newly completed home or the skeleton of an under-construction home.
- Give a quick walk-through of a featured home.
- Highlight your favorite feature in the home.
- Explore outdoor spaces including the view!
- Show off community amenities – edit together a few short clips of several different ones.
You can also check out a few of our builders’ content for more inspiration:
With the new algorithm updates and knowledge of how they work, you can create tons of quality content. There are so many upsides to videos, especially using reels available on Instagram. Get your cameras ready and connect with Group Two for more social media insights.
Written by: Jane Vitelli, Nikki Kirkland, and Sabrina Santos