As marketers, by now we know the power of video. In fact, according to Biteable, 61 percent of markers see video as “very important or extremely important,” yet 66 percent of marketers don’t make them because they think it’s too time-consuming. We’ve got you. This article will help you make impactful, short-form videos that are easily shareable using tools and platforms that you likely already have. Let’s get started!
What Is Short-Form Video and Why Is It Important?
A short-form video is up to 2.5 minutes in length, but they could be shorter, depending on the platform you’re sharing them on. TikTok videos can be up to 60 seconds, Instagram Reels can be either 15 or 30 seconds, and Facebook In-Stream videos can be anywhere from 5 seconds to 10 minutes.
Video Limits by Platform:
TikTok: 60 seconds
Instagram Reels: 30 seconds
Facebook In-Stream Videos: 10 minutes
Facebook Story: 20 seconds
Why should you do it? Because consumers really like watching videos – and the shorter, the better. Here are a few stats to consider:
- 85% of consumers want to see more video content from brands (Hubspot)
- 64% of businesses said a Facebook video resulted in a new client within the last 12 months (Animoto)
- People share videos at twice the rate of any other content (Wyzowl)
- 60% of viewers will stop watching a video by 2 minutes (Ad Age)
Before You Start
There are so many ways to produce short-form video — it all depends on your goal. Some videos, particularly ones made exclusively for social media, can be done in-house and on your phone. Explainer videos should be professionally produced with graphics and animation. Regardless of how your video is produced, there are a few things you should consider before you start:
- Objective – What’s your goal for the video — to raise awareness, educate, or entertain?
- Platform – Where will this video be shared? Videos shared only on social media can feel more spontaneous. Videos that appear on your website should be more polished.
- Storyboard – Any video, even the short, funny ones, should involve some planning. Write out a quick script and create a storyboard so you can plan, frame-by-frame, what the content will be.
Remember, your video needs to serve your purpose. An interview would probably be longer than 30 seconds, and a “quick tip” video might be perfect at 30 seconds.
Ways to Use Short-Form Video
In this department, we say let your creativity shine! Real estate is a visual industry, and most people don’t buy homes unless they can see them, so the uses for video are endless. Here are a few of our favorites:
- User-Generated Content – Ask your homeowners to take short videos of their favorite areas of their home and share them on your social networks, or edit them into a branded video.
- Behind the Brand – What does your team do every day? Share it with video!
- Behind the Scenes – What does framing look like up close and personal? How is a concrete foundation poured?
- Explainer – How does your buying, building, or warranty process work?
- Community Overview – Drone footage can capture breathtaking images and never-seen-before angles of your communities.
- Model Home Tours – Bring your viewers along on a live, virtual tour.
- Buyer Education – How does a construction loan work?
- Home Design – Show off the latest trends.
- Special Features – What makes your homes stand apart from the others?
Where to Publish Short-Form Video
These days, short-form video can be published wherever your brand appears. If fact, it’s probably a good idea to incorporate video everywhere your brand appears, such as:
• TikTok *TIP* Read our latest article, TikTok for Home Builders
- Instagram Reels
- Email Newsletter
- Website *TIP* Organize and group the videos on your website, either on a video page accessible through main navigation or by using a video tag on the blog. This makes it easier for viewers to binge your content!
How to Create Short-Form Video
For social-focused video content, the power is literally in your hands! Social platforms like TikTok and Instagram have video editing tools built right into the software, so you never have to leave the app. There are also plenty of easy-to-use, mobile-only video editing tools like Videoleap. If you’ve got some editing chops, iMovie, Magisto, or After Effects will give you lots of cool transitions, filters, and effects to play with. Or, if you need something a little more polished, you can always count on the professional graphics and editing know-how of Group Two!
Finally, no matter what kind of short-form video you produce, make sure that the lighting is great and the audio is crisp. Your video is a representation of your home builder brand, so you always want to put your best foot forward.
Short-form video is a great way to reach more potential prospects, engage and delight your audience, and give them what they crave – bite-sized information in a fun and entertaining format that’s easily shareable and certainly memorable.